Friday, November 8, 2013

Sheesh it's been a long time! 
I went away from blog posting, and toward facebooking (blog posting).  Go figure.  I realized that I like to post things that I've learned about, but not necessarily what anyone else will care about. Facebook is great for me for finding great pictures and quotes and recipes.  I do also post lots of thoughts on facebook, but I need somewhere to record more personal things and revelations that aren't just passing epiphanies.  I've been using scrap pieces of paper to write scripture study notes, (which is not super helpful, because they are easily lost) and I decided that maybe I should start using the blog that I created for this specific purpose...
So, after 2 years of being neglectful, I'm back!  :)
I'm excited about this new venture, because I've gotten more into deeper study, and I'd like to keep my inspiration in a spot that I can't easily lose.  The internet is a great place for that!!!

So, today I read in Alma, parts of chapters 49 and 50. 
The story plot is Moroni directing the Nephites in fortifying their cities and lands in preparation for defense against the attacking Lamanites.  They have built of major strongholds out of cities that had before been razed by their enemies.  As the Lamanites attack this time around, they are surprised and dismayed to find that they can no longer gain access and power over these cities, because they have been fortified so well. 
The Lamanites go away with fewer numbers and anger, "astonished exceedingly, because of the wisdom of the Nephites in preparing their places of security,' and the king, Amalickiah, curses God and swears to "drink Moroni's blood,"  because he is so frustrated over being outsmarted  in his efforts to enslave the Nephites.
On the other side, Moroni and the Nephites "thank the Lord their God, because of his matchless power in delivering them from the hands of their enemies." 
It's so interesting to observe the total opposite mind sets:  the wicked curse God, and the righteous praise him.    
19  "And thus we see how merciful and just are all the dealings of the Lord, to the fulfilling of all his words unto the children of men...
20 (Lord speaking to Lehi) "Blessed art thou and thy children; and they shall be blessed, inasmuch as they shall keep my commandments they shall prosper in the land...
21  "And we see that these promises have been verified..."
22  "And those who were faithful in keeping the commandmenst of the Lord were delivered at all times.."
23  "But behold there never was a happier time among the people of Nephi, since the days of Nephi, than in the days of Moroni..."

Now, remember that these Nephites "did humble themselves," and lived in peace among themselves.  They were righteous, and treated each other properly and with respect, and they were "highly favored of the Lord" for it. 
Then the Lamanite king, Amalickiah, wanted to gain power over them, so he commenced war. 
The Nephites didn't want war!  They wanted to live peacefully; letting the Lamanites live how they wanted and being able to live as they wished in return.  However, the Nephites were "compelled reluctantly" to go to war.  They were "sorry to take up arms against the Lamanites...  Nevertheless, they could not suffer to lay down their lives, that their wives and their children should be massacred..by those who were once their brethren...  Yea, they could not bear that their brethren should rejoice over the blood of the Nephites..."  (Alma 48: 20 -23)
So, the blessing of deliverance by their faithful God was such a tender mercy!  They had done their part- strove to live righteously and prepared for the future -and reaped the reward for their works!


No comments:

Post a Comment