Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Getting to know God...

When Joseph Smith was searching for truth, he read in the bible James' admonision to ask God. (James 1:5)  Joseph went on to say:  "I had found the testimony of James to be true-that a man who lacked wisdom might ask of God, and obtain, and not be upbraided."  I had to look up the word upbraid, because I didn't understand why he was so caught up on it.  Upbraid means to severely critize or scold.  So, it's finally clicked in my mind!  There are so many people who think of our God as a vengeful God.  One who controls us, but they're not sure what the relationship is.  Then there are others who believe in a Heavenly Father, but not really a personal relationship one.  Joseph may have been nervous to supplicate God, because he didn't know that that was ok for him to do!
I am so very grateful that Joseph Smith had the courage and faith to follow that counsel to ask of God.  As he stated, he found out for himself that not only could he find answers if he asked God, but that this God, his literal Heavenly Father, loved him and wanted a personal relationship with him, and would not scold him for asking questions and wanting to know more! 

"It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God." 
I read this statement in "Come, Listen to a Prophet's Voice" by Lloyd Newell.  He cites these words by Joseph Smith from "Teachings of the prophet Joseph Smith."   Newell states that:  "We cannot understand our destiny if we don't understand our origin."  We are God's children, and He loves us, and wants us to come to Him and have a relationship with Him!  But we have to make the effort before the relationship can become strong!  Joseph went on to explain this concept:  "When we understand the character of God, and know how to come to him, he begins to unfold the heavens to us, and to tell us all about it.  When we are ready to come to him, he is ready to come to us." 
I know I say this a lot, but I LOVE IT!!  Thanks to Joseph Smith for being the example of faith that so many needed!  Thanks to him for helping us understand our relationship with our Heavenly Father a little better, so we feel comfortable "coming unto him!"  I am so grateful for the understanding I have of my Heavenly Father, and I testify that we can have a very personal and loving relationship with our Father!  He wants us to seek Him, so that we may know Him and feel of His love and guiding support!

No comments:

Post a Comment